You probably don’t even know that Facebook changed your email address!
Without telling you, Facebook have changed the email address that displays on your Facebook About page. If one were being sceptical, one would think they wanted to monopolise online communications between friends. lol
Here’s the rest of the story . . .
In the last week or so, I started noticing that the only email address displaying on people’s Facebook pages was an @facebook.com email address. All personal email addresses were gone.
So I started doing some research and this is what I found . . .
Maybe they didn’t like the rejection . . .
Maybe they want to coerce us to change to the Facebook system . . . who knows ??
But all of a sudden, Facebook is only showing @facebook.com email addresses on people’s profiles.
And all of your personal and/or business email addresses are hidden, (still there, but hidden).
Fortunately, it is easy to change back. Just follow these simple steps or watch the video:
- Go to your profile
- Click “About”
- Scroll down to your Contact Info
- Click “Edit”
- Look for your Facebook email address
- Click on the circle next it and change to “Hidden From Timeline”
- Find your other email addresses and change their settings to “Shown On Timeline”
- As always, remember to Click the Save button
Pretty simple to fix.
But unfortunately, it is more and more typical of large organisations that now think they can change things without asking permission or even having the courtesy to tell us that they are doing it.
And yes, they did give the option to change it back, but they could just as easily have left our old email addresses in place. It just smells of forcing people to use a product that they have already not voluntarily accepted.
In their response to questions, Facebook have made it sound like we had the option to select the Facebook email address. But really, it was foisted upon us.
Let all your friends know.
Forward this post to them and let them decide.
What should you do now?
1. If you like the way this works, do nothing.
2. If it’s important for people to use your business or personal email address, change the settings.
3. Want some help or ideas? Just contact us at Hotpink Websites now.
If you win through bad sportsmanship, that’s no real victory.
~ Babe Zaharias